A FEW FACTS ABOUT THE OUR LADY OF PERPETUAL HELP SAFE ENVIRONMENT PROGRAM
The Safe Environment Training Program used by the Diocese of Charleston is VIRTUS.
- Our diocesan-wide program is in place to protect people from potential abuse.
- It has two components: one for adults, one for children.
- All employees & volunteers who work with children and/or minister to the homebound, sick, and otherwise vulnerable must attend the required VIRTUS training program before engaging in regular ministry and activities. Background checks are required: criminal record, DSS, driving and/or credit histories if applicable.
- Children attend a “Touching Safety” class at the beginning of each school year unless opted out by a parent. Attendance is reported to the Diocese.
- Documents for both programs must be maintained and ready for inspection by the Office of Child Protective Services.
- Our parish’s Safe Environment Coordinator is Ashley Price.
- Our parish’s Virtus Facilitator is Peter Murphy.
- The telephone number to the Diocesan Victim Assistance Coordinator is 1-800-921-8122.
Training sessions are made available in your area by trained facilitators who volunteer their time for the Diocese of Charleston. To register for a session near you, please follow the directions below:
- Go to www.virtus.org
- Click on the “Registration” tab on the left column
- Select the Diocese of Charleston, SC from the drop-down menu
- Complete your registration information and check the box next to the training session you wish to attend
- Click “Submit Registration” You will get a message on-screen confirming your registration
- Attend the session you have chosen. Be sure to sign the sign-in sheet at this session. This confirms your attendance and will be verified by The Office of Child Protection Services before approving your status through VIRTUS
** Please note, you may attend any available session you choose; you do not have to attend a session held at the same parish/school where you are employed or volunteer.